Re: Dynamically Changing Exit Policy (iBGP)

  • From: Benjamin Howell
  • Date: Mon Oct 29 20:37:03 2007

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 04:53:50PM -0400, Deepak Jain wrote:
> You can "nail" down your announcements to external peers by tying their
> network blocks to a route-of-last resort on one of your loopbacks. This
> will prevent flapping externally.

Point taken, but it's actually difficult to nail down all of our
routes. We have some lone /24's that are not subnetted and thus cannot
be used with an 'ip route ... null0' statement. When WAN connectivity
drops, the routes flap if we don't have a stable iBGP session. Thus I'd
like to steer well clear of severing the iBGP session.

> The weights can be added/removed automatically by using a route-map on
> the routes that will be added/removed by the interface going down.

Only a single internal /30 route will be removed when an interface goes
down. I can't come up with a route-map implementation that would
add/remove the weights to the routes already received from our eBGP
neighbors. If I'm missing something, please let me know.

> Normally, however, you wouldn't use iBGP for this and you'd use a
> heavier, link-aware internal routing protocol like ISIS or OSPF.

We use OSPF internally, but it just carries internal infrastructure
addresses. I understand that OSPF is link-aware and can carry knowledge
of link bandwidth, but I don't see how it would fit into our exit path
policies.

We accept full routes from our eBGP neighbors and it's not advisable to
inject those into OSPF. Our normal policy must be best-exit, which
leaves iBGP as the decision-maker unless I'm missing something. Is
there a better IGP-based method of choosing a network exit path that
would solve these problems? I ask because I'm curious, not because I
know the answer.

--
Ben Howell