RE: Can P2P applications learn to play fair on networks?

  • From: Frank Bulk
  • Date: Mon Oct 29 15:26:35 2007

There's a large "installed" based of asymmetric speed internet access links.
Considering that even BPON and GPON solutions are designed for asymmetric
use, too, it's going to take a fiber-based Active Ethernet solution to
transform access links to change the residential experience to something
symmetrical.  (I'm making the underlying presumption that copper-based
symmetric technologies will not become part of residential broadband market
any time in the near future, if ever.)

Until the time that we are all FTTH, ISPs will continue to manage their
customer's upstream links.

Regards,

Frank