Re: IPv6 firewall support

  • From: David Freedman
  • Date: Mon Oct 29 09:10:17 2007

Have to say, using screenOS 5.4 on our juniper kit and relatively happy.

Elsewhere, if you just want a packet filter, v6 ACLs are fine, depending of course whether they are done in hardware or software and if this is appropriate for your application (i.e , ACL in software path is perfectly appropriate in a number of scenarios where you have dedicated router and low traffic environment....)

Dave.

[email protected] wrote:
Some people have claimed that they cannot yet sell
IPv6 Internet access because there is no IPv6 firewall
support. According to this ICANN study:
http://www.icann.org/committees/security/sac021.pdf
this is not quite true. At least 30% of the 42 vendors
surveyed, had IPv6 support.

According to this talk <http://www.guug.de/veranstaltungen/ecai6-2007/slides/2007-ECA-I6-Status
-IPv6-Firewalling-PeterBieringer-Talk.pdf> many open-source and commercial firewalls supporting IPv6 are available.

IPCop is based on Linux
<http://www.ipcop.org/index.php?module=pnWikka&tag=IPCopScreenshots>

m0n0wall is based on FreeBSD
<http://m0n0.ch/wall/screenshots.php>

pfSense is also based on FreeBSD
<http://pfsense.com/index.php?id=26>

FWBuilder is a management tool that builds filter setups for several different firewalls.
<http://www.fwbuilder.org/archives/cat_screenshots.html>

Checkpoint FW1 NGX R65 on SecurePlatform supports IPv6

FortiGate supports IPv6 in FortiOS 3.0 and up.

Juniper SSG (formerly Netscreen) supports IPv6 in ScreenOS 6.0 and up.

Cisco ASA (formerly PIX) supports IPv6 in version 7.0 and up.

I suspect that the people complaining about IPv6 support are partially complaining because they have older hardware that the vendor does not plan to upgrade to IPv6 support until they have all features implemented in their newer products, and partially complaining because their vendor has not implemented some feature which they happen to use.

Commercial firewall support may be lagging behind OS and router support, but not by much. And if commercial vendors are not responsive, maybe you should try pricing out an open source solution with a consultant. I believe there is a gap here that startup firewall companies could fill if they understand the enterprise market.

--Michael Dillon