Re: Can P2P applications learn to play fair on networks?

  • From: Stefan Bethke
  • Date: Mon Oct 29 08:38:50 2007

[email protected] schrieb:
If P2P software relied on an ISP middlebox to mediate the transfers,
then each middlebox could optimize the local situation by using a whole
smorgasbord of tools.

Are there any examples of middleware being adopted by the market? To me, it looks like the clear trend is away from using ISP-provided applications and services, towards pure packet pushing (cf. HTTP proxies, proprietary information services). I'm highly sceptical that users would want to adopt any software that ties them more to their ISP, not less.

Stefan