Re: Can P2P applications learn to play fair on networks?

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Sun Oct 28 03:59:13 2007

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007, Sean Donelan wrote:

Why artificially keep access link speeds low just to prevent upstream network congestion? Why can't you have big access links?

You're the one that says that statistical overbooking doesn't work, not anyone else.

Since I know people that offer 100/100 to residential users that upstream this with GE/10GE in their networks and they are happy with it, I don't agree with you about the problem description.

For statistical overbooking to work, a good rule of thumb is that the upstream can never be more than half full normally, and each customer cannot have more access speed than 1/10 of the speed of the upstream capacity.

So for example, you can have a large number of people with 100/100 uplinked with gig as long as that gig ring doesn't carry more than approx 500 meg peak 5 minute average and it'll work just fine.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]