Re: Can P2P applications learn to play fair on networks?

  • From: Ron da Silva
  • Date: Fri Oct 26 23:46:11 2007
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:user-agent:date:subject:from:to:message-id:thread-topic:thread-index:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=OUccjcQ0CXT0xU/NK42lKp9JnX/bZhQOgkRsjHXTPIk=; b=ly11yfE59LTCLQFoIPhC96lpMxM2/kbftcSHtuXL6eb4o37i6qTMBlOjLQ1sr2EzljorUbXZDEc6g8WNSqZoH6e1/HfFTuVPxTvW6V6BCr4lHtwosaxf1Img9c4X7osYlvO1v7URKTRcNu2pzW3ctRe9Nd/BZ9+UH1zkBvlzYAM=

On 10/22/07 2:01 AM, "Mikael Abrahamsson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Could someone who knows DOCSIS 3.0 (perhaps these are general
> DOCSIS questions) enlighten me (and others?) by responding to a few things
> I have been thinking about.
>
> Let's say cable provider is worried about aggregate upstream capacity for
> each HFC node that might have a few hundred users. Do the modems support
> schemes such as "everybody is guaranteed 128 kilobit/s, if there is
> anything to spare, people can use it but it's marked differently in IP
> PRECEDENCE and treated accordingly to the HFC node", and then carry it
> into the IP aggregation layer, where packets could also be treated
> differently depending on IP PREC.
>
> This is in my mind a much better scheme (guarantee subscribers a certain
> percentage of their total upstream capacity, mark their packets
> differently if they burst above this), as this is general and not protocol
> specific. It could of course also differentiate on packet sizes and a lot
> of other factors. Bad part is that it gives the user an incentive to
> "hack" their CPE to allow them to send higher speed with high priority
> traffic, thus hurting their neighbors.

Yes, as a part of the DOCSIS specification (waiting for D3.0 not required);
however, implementations vary on the CMTS end of the equation though.
Having this capability ubiquitously on the CMTS equipment simplifies the
problem space greatly (plus removes that hacked CPE risk).

-ron