North American Network Operators Group|
Date Prev | Date Next | Date Index | Thread Index | Author Index | Historical
RE: Can P2P applications learn to play fair on networks?
Ah, but the reality is that you *think* you're paying for something, but the operator never really intended to deliver it to you. If anything, we need better full-disclosure, preferably voluntarily, and if not that way, legislatively required. Frank -----Original Message----- From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Paul Ferguson Sent: Friday, October 26, 2007 12:19 AM To: [email protected] Cc: [email protected] Subject: Re: Can P2P applications learn to play fair on networks? -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1 - -- Sean Donelan <[email protected]> wrote: >When 5% of the users don't play nicely with the rest of the 95% of >the users; how can network operators manage the network so every user >receives a fair share of the network capacity? I don't know if that's a fair argument. If I'm sitting at the end of 8Mb/768k cable modem link, and paying for it, I should damned well be able to use it anytime I want. 24x7. As a consumer/customer, I say "Don't sell it it if you can't deliver it." And not just "sometimes" or "only during foo time". All the time. Regardless of my applications. I'm paying for it. - - ferg -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: PGP Desktop 9.6.3 (Build 3017) wj8DBQFHIXiYq1pz9mNUZTMRAnpdAJ98sZm5SfK+7ToVei4Ttt8OocNPRQCgheRL lq9rqTBscFmo8I4Y8r1ZG0Q= =HoIx -----END PGP SIGNATURE----- -- "Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson Engineering Architecture for the Internet fergdawg(at)netzero.net ferg's tech blog: http://fergdawg.blogspot.com/