Re: Verizon has been listening to nanog.

  • From: Jared Mauch
  • Date: Wed Oct 24 11:13:46 2007

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 08:58:13AM -0400, Henry Yen wrote:

> > > That's pretty sweet, now all they have to do is start laying the fiber
> > > over here...
> >
> > And stop ripping out copper.
>
> Now that I've gotten caught up on my inbox, perhaps this apropos article
> will be viewed as more timely for this list than my earlier outburst:
>
>  http://www.beskerming.com/commentary/2007/10/24/292/PhD_Student_Claims_200x_Improvement_for_Copper_Broadband
>
> (there's also a link in the article WRT to the Verizon issue of
> copper XOR fiber.)

	The question here is always DISTANCE, and the plant topology.

	I live close to fiber, but due to the way the boundaries are
drawn, I can't just go to the closest CO, I need to go to the one that
is 50k feet away.  If they can do even 10Mb/s at a distance greater than
5 miles it's a welcome innovation.  If it requires 350Mhz capable copper,
only works up to 1k feet, etc..  then i'd much rather have a conduit with
fiber appear nearby.

	Perhaps the neighboring Verizon plant will extend into the currently
legacy SBC area, but I can only dream...

	Time to do my own build-out.

	- Jared