RE: BitTorrent swarms have a deadly bite on broadband nets

  • From: Frank Bulk
  • Date: Wed Oct 24 10:53:09 2007

The key thing is that it can’t be too complicated for the subscriber.  What you’ve described is already too difficult for the masses to consume.

The scavenger class, as has been described in other postings, is probably the simplest way to implement things.  Let the application developers take care of the traffic marking and expose priorities in the GUI, and the marketing from the MSO needs to be “$xx.xx per month for general use internet, with unlimited bulk traffic for $y.yy”.  Of course, the MSOs wouldn’t say that the first category excludes bulk traffic, or mention caps or upstream limitations or P2P control because that would be bad for marketing.

Frank