Re: BitTorrent swarms have a deadly bite on broadband nets

  • From: Jack Bates
  • Date: Tue Oct 23 11:26:20 2007

Tim Franklin wrote:
For the UK (and NL), on the tech side we're seeing some success with EFM
on copper, in this particular case on an Actelis platform. It's a new
unit in the CO, from 1-8 pairs from the CO to the customer premises, up to
a total bandwidth across all pairs of 40Mb/s in each direction. (Admittedly 40Mb/s is 8 pairs at something like 1km from the exchange, but
I'm seeing some useful 6-10M symmetric services on 4 or so pairs).
<snip>

Errr, 8 pairs per customer? Even 4 is a step backwards. If we're going to do construction at that level, might as well drop in fiber. We're still enjoying the fact that ADSL runs on 1/2 a pair while the customer's phone service is out.

Jack