Re: Internet access in Japan (was Re: BitTorrent swarms have a deadly bite on broadband nets)

  • From: Tom Vest
  • Date: Tue Oct 23 10:28:23 2007

On Oct 23, 2007, at 3:20 PM, Leo Bicknell wrote:

In a message written on Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 10:20:49PM -0400, David Andersen wrote:
The Washington Post article claims that:
[snip]

b) Fresh new wire installed after WWII

I have to wonder what percentage of the population is using phone lines installed before WWII?

I live in a suburb that didn't exist 20 years ago other than maybe
50 buildings around the train depot.  My neighborhood did not exist
10 years ago, it was a cow pasture.  Where's all this old cable?

While I'm sure you can find some row houses in $big_city that have
old copper I find it hard to believe that "pre WWII wire" is holding
us back.  Wasn't it Sprint back in like 1982 or 1984 made a big
deal about their entire long haul network being converted to fiber?