Re: Can P2P applications learn to play fair on networks?

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Tue Oct 23 09:43:11 2007

On 23-okt-2007, at 14:52, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

I also would like to see a UDP scavenger service, for those applications that generate lots of bits but
can tolerate fairly high packet losses without replacement. (VLBI, for example, can in principle live with 10% packet loss without much pain.)

Note that this is slightly different from what I've been talking about: if a user trips the traffic volume limit and is put in the lower-than-normal traffic class, that user would still be using TCP apps so very high packet loss rates would be problematic here.

So I guess this makes three traffic classes.

In this case, I suspect that a "worst effort" TOS class would be honored across domains.

If not always by choice. :-)