Re: BitTorrent swarms have a deadly bite on broadband nets

  • From: Adrian Chadd
  • Date: Tue Oct 23 04:41:25 2007

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007, Brandon Galbraith wrote:
> I believe the bittorrent client Azureus actually does prioritize based on
> subnet, picking local subnet hosts first (such as when used in a large NAT'd
> environment).
>
> -brandon

That hasn't been my experience with some of the statistics coming out of
colleges. People either just don't download the same stuff or they
can't see each other via different clients.

Now, if there were one IETF standardised P2P protocol which clients could
implement, with basic proxying/content routing at higher levels built in;
maybe some of this mess would be saner. Unfortunately I think the cat's
not just out of the bag, its gone and had 15 generation of kittens..

Adrian