Re: Can P2P applications learn to play fair on networks?

  • From: Bora Akyol
  • Date: Mon Oct 22 13:30:08 2007

I see your point. The main problem I see with the traffic shaping or worse
boxes is that comcast/ATT/... Sells a particular bandwidth to the customer.
Clearly, they don't provision their network as Number_Customers*Data_Rate,
they provision it to a data rate capability that is much less than the
maximum possible demand.

This is where the friction in traffic that you mention below happens.

I have to go check on my broadband service contract to see how they word the
bandwidth clause.

Bora