Re: Comcast blocking p2p uploads

  • From: Joe Greco
  • Date: Sat Oct 20 20:14:50 2007

> In a message written on Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 03:21:09PM -0400, Joe Provo wr=
> ote:
> > Content is irrelevent.  BT is a protocol-person's dream and an ISP
> > nightmare. The bulk of the slim profit margin exists in taking=20
> > advantage of stat-mux oversubscription. BT blows that out of the=20
> > water.
>
> I'm a bit confused by your statement.  Are you saying it's more
> cost effective for ISP's to carry downloads thousands of miles
> across the US before giving them to the end user than it is to allow
> a local end user to "upload" them to other local end users?

It's quite possible that I've completely missed it, but I hadn't seen many
examples of P2P protocols where any effort was made to locate "local"
users and prefer them.  In some cases, this may happen due to the type of
content, but I'd guess it to be rare.  Am I missing some new development?

If it isn't being transferred locally, then the ISP is being stuck with
the pain of carrying a download thousands of miles, probably from a
peering (or worse, transit) with another ISP that has also had to carry
it some distance.

... JG