Re: Comcast blocking p2p uploads

  • From: William Allen Simpson
  • Date: Sat Oct 20 07:42:45 2007
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to:subject:references:in-reply-to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=wucvow1g6ngfQiLm50vJwn3bFfznUcLyF+wZ86IM0lY=; b=nJ8GzW/zmEy3AQOrB+5BkwxAqVNjNNm59w/ZpV/x7pAs87SiSG4//KgguUdAUtXwo0MDMkkZCkgWQs6rVYtOIVNjesjjGR1agxVvGDKp5VL7NKCa4vmsC4Qr4efbMl7e9DW9m+O+7F4dtV+EwdmdaxFor47sDgZOX2TENnW6uZw=

Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
I cannot access relevant pages on www.comcast.com due to me not being in the US (or rather, they require an address first), could anyone please paste or other way supply the wording/text they use in their fineprint, to allow them contractually to disrupt customer TCP session in other way than delaying or dropping the packets (which I guess is accepted industry standard).

Sending/spoofing RST on certain customer TCP sessions doesn't qualify as normal network behaviour in my mind, so would be interesting to hear how they word it legally.

They don't, Comcast is egregiously in violation of their own AUP!

http://www.comcast.net/terms/use.jsp

vii. restrict, inhibit, or otherwise interfere with the ability of any
other person, regardless of intent, purpose or knowledge, to use or enjoy
the Service, including, without limitation, posting or transmitting any
information or software which contains a worm, virus, or other harmful
feature, or generating levels of traffic sufficient to impede others'
ability to send or retrieve information;

vii. restrict, inhibit, interfere with, or otherwise disrupt or cause a
performance degradation, regardless of intent, purpose or knowledge, to the
Service or any Comcast (or Comcast supplier) host, server, backbone network,
node or service, or otherwise cause a performance degradation to any Comcast
(or Comcast supplier) facilities used to deliver the Service;

xxii. interfere with computer networking or telecommunications service to
any user, host or network, ....

----

I'm on the horn to my legislators....  As a Comcast customer at home, I'll
be looking into my legal position regarding "tortuous interference".  As an
ISP owner, I'm not as sure about my standing, but also seems that they are
interfering with "service to any user, host or network".