Re: Comcast blocking p2p uploads

  • From: Joel Jaeggli
  • Date: Fri Oct 19 18:25:49 2007

Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

> On Oct 19, 2007, at 2:50 PM, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/technology/AP-Comcast-Data-Discrimination.html
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/technology/AP-Comcast-Data-Discrimination-Tests.html
>>

>> Not a lot more I can say, other than argghhh!
>
> "Argghhh" that they are doing it?
>
> Or "argghhh" that people are just now figuring it out?
>
> And did you "arrgghhh" when rate limiting became commonplace about, oh,
> 1865? :)

It's one thing to traffic shape someone... It's quite another to meddle
in the packets that they send. people are willing to tolerate
transparent http proxies because they got good enough that their use was
non-invasive. As a comcast customer I am aware that I am purchasing an
asymetric service, there are is however a reason I got 8/768 and not 6/384.

What happens when they decide my non-comcast voice or video conferencing
service needs to be asymmetric instead of symmetric as well?