Re: Comcast blocking p2p uploads

  • From: Mike Lewinski
  • Date: Fri Oct 19 18:08:43 2007

Mark Owen wrote:

On 10/19/07, *Mike Lewinski* <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

With the remaining 1% being Linux ISOs.

    I wonder what happens to these network police appliances (Sandvine,
    Packeteer etc) when the P2Ps implement encryption and tunnel it all over
    443/tcp?

They'll just monitor for streams that utilize large portions of bandwidth for extended amounts of time and throttle all.

Which seems completely fair and reasonable to me, and likely won't require very expensive layer 4-7 packet shapers either. Plus they can just state that flat limit in their contract and NANOG will issue a collective yawn.

It just seems to me that the more Sandvine type applications are deployed, the sooner we will burn that bridge out from under us.

Then again, I saw the first Packeteer in action nearly 3 years ago and predicted it would only take 6-9 months before encryption became widespread.