Re: 240/4

  • From: Jon Lewis
  • Date: Fri Oct 19 12:55:33 2007

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007, Adrian Chadd wrote:

People -chose- to use some new IP space which had once been bogon
space and then spent quite a bit of time figuring out why the hell
customers couldn't reach the general internet. People adapted.

We didn't choose it. ARIN and other RIRs started handing out that space, and if you didn't like it you were welcome to not have any more IP space.

There's a huge difference between getting a handful of networks to fix their outdated filters and getting "the internet" to all upgrade their software or replace old non-upgradable gear.

You know, Cisco do release updates to old IOS software periodically.
ISTR seeing a Cisco 2500 IOS update -this year-. Yup:

c2500-is-l.123-23.bin 16 16 25-JUL-2007

Lots of 2500s can't run that code. Where can I get a 240/4 compatible update of c5200-is-l.113-11a.AA.bin?

Interestingly, my unpatched Ubuntu 7.04 notebook would let me install routes for networks in 240/4, but would not let me configure an interface IP in 240/4.

 Jon Lewis                   |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |