Re: dns authority changes and lame servers

  • From: David Ulevitch
  • Date: Thu Oct 18 17:28:23 2007

Justin Scott wrote:

As an operator of both free and paid DNS services, I wish there was a
quick and easy way to pull a list of all of the zones that were
delegated to a specific IP address.  I say IP because people can now
register their own DNS name servers at the registrar and use our IP
addresses, so using the "official" hostname isn't even fool-proof.
Being able to pull such an "official" list for forward DNS zones would
certainly make life easier.

How annoying or frustrating is it for people?

Is it so annoying that you'd be willing to pay for a list of every public-facing NS record pointed at a given IP?

I should also mention the related work starting over here:
http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0710/presentations/Vixie-lightning.pdf

-David