Re: 240/4

  • From: David Ulevitch
  • Date: Tue Oct 16 17:23:09 2007

Daniel Senie wrote:
If all of 240/4 is given over without guidance to private address use, a
huge mess will follow, should we later decide it safe to use on the public network.

Nobody would allow that to happen. Once it goes RFC1918, it would never go back.

Adding four /8's to the IPv4 RIR assignable space (as you suggest) isn't buying anyone any time before we run out.

The effort someone would spend figuring out if 204/4 is reachable and not-pain-inducing in their infrastructure is better spent figuring out how to make IPv6 work within their sphere of responsibilities.

-David