240/4

  • From: Randy Bush
  • Date: Tue Oct 16 11:45:32 2007

vince,

thanks for your presentation on 240/4.  i agree with it all.  two points

do not hard-code address boundaries and special addresses, as we are
likely to regret doing so.  two sub-lessons, ula and any other bright
ideas.  "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
-- George Santayana

my first thought on how to use it revolved around the idea that the
devices inside my site are more diverse than those on the transit
internet.  therefore, if i can use 240/4 internally, certainly we will
all be able to transit it.  where this died was the realization that, if
i want to transit 240/4, i am expecting all the devices in *your*
network to be able to handle 240/4, which is not reasonable.  so i guess
i come down on the private use side of the how-to-use decision.  i would
be interested in hearing counter-arguments.

again, thanks for the preso and the work.  and i presume my ciscos will
soon be able to handle 240/4 at no additional hardware cost. :)

randy