Re: more-specifics via IX

  • From: Mike Leber
  • Date: Mon Oct 15 10:03:12 2007

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007, Bradley Urberg Carlson wrote:
> I have a few customers' customers, who appear at a local IX.  Due to
> the MLPA-like nature of the IX, I hear their prefixes both at the IX
> and via my own transit customers.  I normally use localpref to prefer
> customer advertisements over peers' advertisements.
>
> There is a customer's customer who is advertising more-specifics at the
> IX (and using a different source AS, to boot)

Time to time you will see this.

You could also hear the more specifics from another peer that is one of
their transit providers or you could hear them via one of your transit
providers.

> I can think of a couple ways to prevent hearing these, but thought I
> should ask for suggestions first.

You can do all kinds of things to other network's routes especially when
those routes aren't from your customers and what you are doing doesn't
break connectivity (or solves a capacity problem and improves
connectivity).  However, if you tweak routes of a paying customer then you
will need to consider what your answer to your customer will be for
overriding their traffic engineering.

Mike.

| Mike Leber         Wholesale IPv4 and IPv6 Transit       510 580 4100 |
| Hurricane Electric     Web Hosting  Colocation                 AS6939 |
| [email protected]                                           http://he.net |