Re: How to Handle ISPs Who Turn a Blind Eye to Criminal Activity?

  • From: Florian Weimer
  • Date: Sat Oct 13 17:41:20 2007

* Mike Lewinski:

> Florian Weimer wrote:
>
>> I don't know what case prompted Ferg to post his message to NANOG, but I
>> know that there are cases where failing to act is comparable to ignoring
>> the screams for help of an "alleged" rape victim during the "alleged"
>> crime.
>
> I'm reminded of this story from earlier this year:
>
> http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=568400
>
> "For his effort, Van Iveren was charged with criminal trespass while
> using a dangerous weapon, criminal damage to property while using a
> dangerous weapon and disorderly conduct while using a dangerous
> weapon, all criminal misdemeanors that carry a maximum total penalty
> of 33 months in jail."

That guy was no foreigner to the local police, apparently.  I couldn't
find anything regarding the outcome of his court appearance.  Of course,
if you run to the help of those in apparent need, you always risk
looking very stupid.

Anyway, if you've got a customer account that was created with a stolen
credit card, and you get complaints about activity on that account from
various parties, and you still don't act, this shows a rather
significant level of carelessness.  The other side of the story is that
it takes months to get local police to forward the criminal complaint to
state police, and state police to issue an order for seizure, even in
areas of Germany where I thought we had pretty good LE coverage.