Re: Why do some ISP's have bandwidth quotas?

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Sat Oct 13 03:38:43 2007

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, Brandon Galbraith wrote:

Not to drag this too far off topic, but have serious studies been done looking at moving switching fabric closer to the DSLAMs (versus doing everything PPPoE)? I know this sort of goes opposite of how ILECs are setup to dish out DSL, but as more traffic is being pushed user to user, it may make economic/technical sense.

I know some som non-ILECs that do DSL bitstream via L3/MPLS IPVPN and IP DSLAMs, which then if they implement multicast in their VPN would be able to provide a service that could support multicast TV.

For me any tunnel based bitstream doesn't scale for the future and in competetive markets it's already been going away (mostly because ISPs buying the bitstream service can't compete anyway).

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]