Re: Researchers ping through first full 'Internet census' in 25 years

  • From: Gadi Evron
  • Date: Fri Oct 12 13:04:03 2007

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, Leigh Porter wrote:

You are more likely to get 5000 zonealarm emails....

Or a place on dshield's top 10.

Justin M. Streiner wrote:

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, Chris Owen wrote:

You can't consider every wacko on the net when doing something like
this. Anyone who considers a ping an attack probably isn't worth
worrying about.

I tend to agree, but back when I manned the abuse desk (among others) at my former employer, I would see abuse reports come in all the time that were basically a report from whatever security software someone was running on their PC, accompanied by a message that was usually something along the lines of this:

"HOST x.x.x.x ON YOUR NETWORK PINGED ME!!!!  I TAKE MY SECURITY
SERIOUSLY!!  I'M CALLING THE FBI!!!"

The knee-jerk reaction is rarely the right one :)

jms