OT: Visio or Autocad

  • From: Stephen Fulton
  • Date: Wed Oct 10 18:54:38 2007

Greetings all,

A good friend of mine swears that Autocad is superior for network design to Visio. I don't disagree, but only because I have never used Autocad for network design. So far Visio has generally met my needs when I'm working on a design, but I have found it lacking (or perhaps just my Visio skills?) when trying to merge L2 and L3 designs. Most of the time I start from scratch on each layer, but it does become a burden as changes are made once the design becomes operational, and over its' lifetime.

Is anyone using Autocad for network design? What are your thoughts?

-- Stephen.