Re: How Not to Multihome

  • From: Joel Jaeggli
  • Date: Mon Oct 08 19:54:53 2007

[email protected] wrote:

> please elaborate.  My knowledge of IPv6 is admittedly lacking, but I
> always assumed that the routing tables would be much larger if the
> internet were to convert from IPv4 due to the sheer number of networks
> available.

Currently The IPv6 DFZ is 970 routes from 808 ASes. The reflects
actually pretty steady growth... participating in the IPV6 dfz is not
presently expensive.

Were it maximally aggregated it would be 926 routes. 95% agregation is
pretty nice.

In ipv4 land we're at 239k routes ~154k maximally aggregated 64%
efficiency from the aggregation angle... But only 25506 ASes are
actually participating in the v4 routing system.

While I won't presume that the IPV6 routing table will remain unmessy
when the other 24698 ASes decide they need some v6 I think it's be quite
some time before the v6 picture looks like the v4 one (most of those
networks will not be going back to the rir for a new block at regular
intervals).

Their is always the possibility that somebody decides they need announce
all their /48s for TE or anti-hijacking purposes in which case filters
and clue should be applied in that order. There is no reason in the ipv4
dfz for example for me to need a thousand routes from 18566 or 9498 in
order to reach all their address blocks.