Re: How Not to Multihome

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Mon Oct 08 17:55:28 2007

On Oct 8, 2007, at 5:43 PM, [email protected] wrote:

I have a client that wants us to advertise an IP block assigned by another
ISP. I know that the best practice is to have them request an AS number
from ARIN and peer with us, etc. However, I cannot find any information
that states as law. Does anyone know of a document or RFC that states
this?

There is nothing wrong with both of your originating the prefix, as long as the owner gives you permission. Plus it saves an ASN. If the link between you & the customer dies, things get far more interesting, but that doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't do it.

Of course, you can probably still find documentation against it. (You can find documentation for or against just about anything.)

--
TTFN,
patrick