Re: Access to the IPv4 net for IPv6-only systems

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Thu Oct 04 04:44:59 2007

On 3-okt-2007, at 14:14, John Curran wrote:

I'd rather have IPv4 with massive NAT and IPv6 without NAT than both IPv4 and IPv6 with moderate levels of NAT.

That's great, guys, if "IPv4 with massive levels of NAT" actually
resembles today's Internet and is actually a viable choice.

It doesn't have to be viable. If it isn't, that's good reason for people to move to IPv6.

Once free pool depletion occurs and address reuse enters the equation,
we've got high demand for block fragmentation and a tragedy
of the commons situation where everyone's motivations are to
inject their longer prefixes and yell at others not to do the same.

Good reason to start working on that IPv6 transition plan while there is still time.