Re: Myanmar Internet turned off

  • From: Marshall Eubanks
  • Date: Wed Oct 03 22:57:57 2007

Here is my BGP analysis, based on the data archived as part of

http://www.multicasttech.com/status/

I know of only one fiber landing station in Burma, in Pyapon with service from SEA-ME-WE 3 :
http://www.sintelsat.com/fibernetworks/SEAMEWE3.html . There has been discussion in Bangladesh with installing fiber to link their landing station in Cox's Bazar with Pyapon, but I don't think that that is there yet. I believe that there is also only one satellite landing station.

Here is some technical info. AFAIK there are 2 autonomous systems in Burma :

9988 MPT-AP [DS72-AP] {43, Boaung, Yangon, Myanma, MM} Myanma Post and Telecommunication
18399 BAGAN-TRANSIT-AS [KS220-AP] {Union of Myanamr, MM} Bagan Cybertech IDC & Teleport International Transit

I dump and archive all BGP data here every 6 hours, so I can go back into the past.

Before September 27, 2007, these ASN reached me via the following AS paths

 AS   9988  MPT-AP              as path   174  3491  9304  9988
 AS  18399  BAGAN-TRANSIT-AS    as path   174  2914  9988 18399

That is to say

Cogent <-> CAIS <-> Hutchison Telecom (HK) <-> MPT-AP
Cogent <-> CAIS <-> MPT-AP <-> BAGAN-TRANSIT-AS

(Note that CAIS has more than one autonomous system number.)

Both of these BGP announcements were shut off between

Sep_27_18:07:00_EDT_2007

and

Sep_28_00:07:00_EDT_2007

and have mostly remained off since.

At 0600 EDT for 2 of the days since, there has been different announcement from 18399

AS 18399 BAGAN-TRANSIT-AS as path 174 3549 9731 18399

that is

Cogent <-> Global Crossing <-> STTP-AS-SG-AP <-> BAGAN-TRANSIT-AS

where STTP-AS-SG-AP is ST Teleport Pte Ltd - Multihomed and Transit AS - Internet via Satellite Service Provider,
2B/2C Ayer Rajah Crescent, Singapore 139937.

I saw these on

Sep_28_06:07:00_EDT_2007
Oct_1_06:07:00_EDT_2007

and not since. I would guess this was a satellite link.

On

Oct_1_18:07:00_EDT_2007 only I saw

AS 9988 MPT-AP as path 174 3491 9304 9988

which is to say the original path.

Given the 6 hour sampling, I have to assume that there have been other short term re-appearances of routes to Burma.
Whether this is due to internal struggles, accidents, or urgent needs for data transfer I cannot say.

Regards
Marshall