Re: Creating demand for IPv6

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Wed Oct 03 19:16:41 2007

On 3-Oct-2007, at 1907, <[email protected]> wrote:

I see that you did not change anything on that page. Specifically what
is wrong with the wording below?
---
This is a transition mechanism in which the user configures a 6to4
client in their PC or home gateway. The 6to4 client requests dynamic
tunnels

(not quite right; the client doesn't actually request anything)

from a 6to4 server which is found via the anycast address prefix
192.88.99.0/24 allocated in RFC 3068.

(most 6to4 implementations allow a relay router to be configured as an alternative to the RFC 3068 well-known relay router address. That address is exactly 192.88.99.1, incidentally; it's not something that needs to be found)

This tunnel then attaches the IPv4
host to the IPv6 network using the IPv6 address 2002:V4ADDR::/48. The
mechanism is documented in RFC 3056.

ISPs can improve connectivity for their customers who are currently
running IPv6 on their PCs by setting up a 6to4 relay. This avoids the
increased network latency caused by a trombone path to the IPv6
destination through a distant 6to4 relay.

(for an ISP's customers to find that relay it either needs to be explicitly configured in their client stacks, or it needs to be numbered 192.88.99.1 and the clients need to use the RFC 3068 address)

In addition, a content provider can also add IPv6 access to their
services by configuring 6to4 on their network

(... and configuring all the servers and related infrastructure responsible for those services to use IPv6, using a 6to4 prefix. Note that this is not particularly different from any other kind of IPv6 transit a content provider might decide to arrange.)

. Again, by shortening the
routing taken by one of the protocols,

(shortening the IPv4 path over which the tunnel is provisioned is clearer; I'm not sure in general what "shortening the routing" means)

you ensure that there is no
tromboning of the path and network latency is close to the minimum
possible.

I did not change anything on that page, either. For the record, that's because I have a screaming two-year-old trying to use me as a climbing wall right now.

Joe