RE: Creating demand for IPv6

  • From: michael.dillon
  • Date: Wed Oct 03 19:07:04 2007

> > What about these two?
> > http://www.getipv6.info/index.php/Transitioning:_6to4
>
> Michael,
>
> As mentioned, 6to4 doesn't do what you seem to think it does.
> Its not a solution to the problem of IPv6 endpoints trying to
> talk to IPv4 endpoints.

I see that you did not change anything on that page. Specifically what
is wrong with the wording below?
---
This is a transition mechanism in which the user configures a 6to4
client in their PC or home gateway. The 6to4 client requests dynamic
tunnels from a 6to4 server which is found via the anycast address prefix
192.88.99.0/24 allocated in RFC 3068. This tunnel then attaches the IPv4
host to the IPv6 network using the IPv6 address 2002:V4ADDR::/48. The
mechanism is documented in RFC 3056.

ISPs can improve connectivity for their customers who are currently
running IPv6 on their PCs by setting up a 6to4 relay. This avoids the
increased network latency caused by a trombone path to the IPv6
destination through a distant 6to4 relay.

In addition, a content provider can also add IPv6 access to their
services by configuring 6to4 on their network. Again, by shortening the
routing taken by one of the protocols, you ensure that there is no
tromboning of the path and network latency is close to the minimum
possible.
---

> > http://www.getipv6.info/index.php/Transitioning:_NAT-PT
>
> Looks interesting. There's some version 0.4 user-space
> software for Linux which claims to do

That's what this part of the page refers to:
Guide to Building a Linux IPv6 Router with NAT-PT Good Howto document
for setting up your own lab or home trial of NAT-PT

>it and Cisco claims to
> do it in IOS 12.4 advanced enterprise.

You know, you could have added that to the page yourself. In any case, I
added a pointer to a Cisco product brief that mentions they have
upgraded NAT-PT to CEF in 12.4.

--Michael Dillon