Re: Creating demand for IPv6

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Wed Oct 03 14:48:16 2007

On 3-Oct-2007, at 1143, Elmar K. Bins wrote:

[email protected] (Joe Abley) wrote:

6to4 (for content- or access-focussed networks) is surely a solution
to the problem of "I have no good way to acquire IPv6 transit";

It solves another problem as well, like "I cannot go v6 to my servers because my load balancing and packet filtering black boxes don't do it yet".

I'm not sure how it solves that problem. 6to4 is not a translation mechanism -- it's a tunnelling mechanism. 6to4 does not provide any way for an IPv4-only host to talk to an IPv6-only host.

In order to make use of 6to4, surely servers and load balancers still need to support IPv6 -- they just get loaded with addresses covered by a 6to4 prefix rather than a prefix assigned by an RIR or an IPv6 transit provider.

Joe