RE: Creating demand for IPv6

  • From: michael.dillon
  • Date: Wed Oct 03 10:52:54 2007

> However, if there was a reasonable translation mechanism
> available which allowed IPv6-only end systems to access
> IPv4-only content, I think the picture would look quite
> different.

Doesn't deploying a 6to4 relay in the content provider network, along
with IPv6 access to the content provider network, exactly meet this
requirement?

I agree that it is better if the mechanism can be installed in the
eyeball ISP's network, but the fact is that the majority of content
providers connect to the Internet via an ISP, so if there was a
concerted effort to get content-hosting ISPs to install this mechanism,
we would have solved much of this problem.

> Designing a universally-general translation mechanism seems
> hard, and seems likely to suffer from many of the same
> problems as IPv4-IPv4 NAT; perhaps as an interim measure,
> however, for the millions of Internet users for whom the
> network mainly means 80/tcp, the mechanism doesn't have to be
> universally-general. Perhaps it just has to be good enough.

Agreed. Good enough might be a bit more than port 80, i.e. some more
popular IM and P2P ports, but we already have all the pieces needed for
this type of ALG to run on a Linux or BSD system. It's just a matter of
someone putting together a good HowTo document which could be posted
here <http://www.getipv6.info>.

> Perhaps the assignment of IPv4 addresses to end users could
> become a premium service available to those who need them,
> leaving cheaper, IPv6-only service for everybody else.

I'm quite sure that this WILL happen within a year or so. Lots of ISPs
have already gotten their IPv6 through the trial phase and already offer
IPv6 access service, or are about to offer it.

The difference between today, and 1995 when the Internet went
exponential, is that in 1995 there were lots and lots of people with
IPv4 networking experience, and IPv4 server experience. Out of that set
of people, the early adopters and pioneers naturally formed a critical
mass which created new ISPs and new Internet services. But today, we are
still struggling to get enough people up to speed on IPv6. A lot of IPv4
people have so little IPv6 knowledge that we continually see the "Three
Blind Men and an Elephant" syndrome. We have got to get beyond that
which is why I urge everybody on this list to check this ARIN page
http://www.getipv6.info/index.php/Educating_Yourself_about_IPv6
Either use it to further your own education, or add some advice/resource
that will be of use to others. Every contribution of information, no
matter how small, is useful.

--Michael Dillon