Re: Access to the IPv4 net for IPv6-only systems, was: Re: WG Action: Conclusion of IP Version 6 (ipv6)

  • From: Randy Bush
  • Date: Wed Oct 03 05:32:11 2007

> - IPv4 vs IPv6 is completely invisible to the user. I regularly run
> netstat or tcpdump to see which I'm using, I doubt many people will do
> that. So if IPv6 works and IPv4 doesn't, that will look like random
> breakage to the untrained user rather than something they can do
> something about.

but the reality is ipv4 works and ipv6 doesn't.  and unless the ivory
tower purists get off their doomed thrones, ipv6 will die stillborn.  in
fact, that is what is happening now.

there are more ipv4 nats within a 1km radius of here than there are
v6-enabled networks on the planet.  and i am at the nexus of ipv6
deployment in the world, networking central in tokyo.

> - If we do NAT-PT and the ALGs are implemented and then the application
> workarounds around the ALGs, it's only a very small step to wide scale
> IPv6 NAT.

the reality is you have a choice.  nat-pt or ipv4 with massive natting
forever.  it's not a choice i like, but it's life.  get over it.

randy