Re: Access to the IPv4 net for IPv6-only systems, was: Re: WG Action: Conclusion of IP Version 6 (ipv6)

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Wed Oct 03 03:53:24 2007

On 2-okt-2007, at 16:55, Mark Newton wrote:

ALGs are not the solution. They turn the internet into a telco-like
network where you only get to deploy new applications when the powers
that be permit you to.

No, they turn the Intenret into a network where you only get to
deploy new IPv4 applications when the powers that be permit you to.

So everyone will deploy IPv6 applications, which require no ALGs,
instead.

Isn't that a solution that everyone can be happy with?

Well, I can think of a couple of things that make me unhappy:

- IPv4 vs IPv6 is completely invisible to the user. I regularly run netstat or tcpdump to see which I'm using, I doubt many people will do that. So if IPv6 works and IPv4 doesn't, that will look like random breakage to the untrained user rather than something they can do something about.

- If we do NAT-PT and the ALGs are implemented and then the application workarounds around the ALGs, it's only a very small step to wide scale IPv6 NAT.