Re: Creating demand for IPv6

  • From: Jon Lewis
  • Date: Tue Oct 02 19:19:59 2007

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, William Herrin wrote:

What should you do about it? Buy stock.

What's your crystal ball say? Which ones and when? :)

And make no mistake: it will drag on and on. Even when everybody is
well and truly out, there are a heck of a lot of addresses that can be
reclaimed in dialup pools, residential DSL pools and other uses
retroactively deemed wasteful by converting them to NAT.

I suppose that's a likely last resort. Reduce, reuse, recycle. If you don't have large dial pools to scavenge, you're SOL?

AFAIK, this [NATing consumer access] is already being done by some of the larger providers in Europe. I wonder how the heck they deal with abuse issues. i.e. When complaints come in about abusive/illegal activity from a NAT outside IP, how do you know which inside IP customer is to blame? Keep extensive netflow data generated by the NAT router?

IPv4 forever. One possible price for failing to deliver an IPv6 that
customers want today.

Is it really that they don't want it or that they just don't care...as long as the web works, email works, and they can do whatever else they generally do online? A massive installed generally apathetic base is an awful lot of momentum to overcome.

And last I read, even that ipv6 free porn thing was vaporware.

 Jon Lewis                   |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |