Re: Access to the IPv4 net for IPv6-only systems, was: Re: WG Action: Conclusion of IP Version 6 (ipv6)

  • From: Stephen Sprunk
  • Date: Tue Oct 02 11:02:38 2007

Thus spake "Iljitsch van Beijnum" <[email protected]>
On 1-okt-2007, at 19:56, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
There is no "IPv6 world". I've heard reference over and over to how developers shouldn't add "NAT support" into v6 apps, but
the reality is that there are no "v6 apps". There are IPv4 apps
and IP apps that are version agnostic. The NAT code is there
and waiting to be used whether the socket underneath happens
to be v4 or v6 at any given time.

I could talk about APIs and how IPv6 addresses are embedded in protocols, but let me suffice to say that although your applications may work over both IPv4 and IPv6, this doesn't mean that the two protocols are completely interchangeable. NATs and their ALGs as well as applications WILL have to be changed to make protocols that embed IP addresses work through NAT-PT (or IPv6 NAT).

First, there really aren't that many apps today that embed IP addresses or don't follow the traditional client-server model. We don't have more of them because of v4 NAT.

Second, the ALGs will have to be (re)written anyways to deal with IPv6 stateful firewalls, whether or not NAT-PT happens.

The other thing is NAT is only a small fraction of the problem; most of the same code will be required to work around stateful firewalls even in v6.

There are different approaches possible for this. Opening up holes in the firewall is probably better than ALGs.

That's the purpose of an ALG. Requiring users to modify their home router config or put in a change request with their IT department for a firewall exception is a non-starter if you want your app to be accepted. Whether the pinhole is needed because of a NAT or a stateful firewall is irrelevant; what matters is having an ALG create the pinhole _automatically_.

1. for IPv6-only hosts with modest needs: use an HTTPS proxy
to relay TCP connections

2. for hosts that are connected to IPv6-only networks but with
needs that can't be met by 1., obtain real IPv6 connectivity
tunneled on-demand over IPv6

Neither solves the problem of v6-only hosts talking to v4-only hosts.

Huh? They both do, that's the point. (Although the former doesn't work for everything and the latter removes the "IPv6-only" status from the host if not from the network it connects to.)

The former only handles outbound TCP traffic, which works through pure NAT boxes as it is. The latter "solution" ignores the problem space by telling people to not be v4-only anymore.

NAT-PT gives hosts the _appearance_ of being dual-stacked
at very little up-front cost.

Again, you're right. The costs will be ongoing in the form of reduced transparency (both in the technical/architectural sense and in the sense that applications behave unexpectedly) and the continous need to accommodate workarounds in applications.

Agreed. People have shown they're willing to accept those costs in a v4-only network. Extending that to the transition phase adds zero _new_ costs. Providing a way out for people if they deploy v6 is a new _benefit_.

Could you please explain what problems you see with the
proxy/tunnel approach and why you think NAT-PT doesn't have
these problems?

NAT-PT works for more apps/protocols. It definitely has its own problems, though. That's why I view it as a transition technology, not a desirable end state. If it's successful, it will drive itself out of existence.

When v4-only users get sick of going through a NAT-PT
because it breaks a few things, that will be their motivation to
get real IPv6 connectivity and turn the NAT-PT box off -- or
switch it around so they can be a v6-only site internally.

Yeah right. Youtube is going to switch to IPv6 because I have trouble viewing their stuff through NAT-PT. (Well, they use flash/HTTP so I guess I wouldn't.)

Either YouTube won't care, in which case NAT-PT obviously isn't as evil as people claim, or they will care and they'll deploy v6. I don't claim to know which scenario is correct, but I assert that it's one of the two.

No, what's going to happen is that users will demand IPv4
connectivity from their service providers if IPv6-only doesn't
work well enough.

This is one place where the duopoly will work in our favor -- most people (at least in the US) only have two choices, and if neither of them has new IPv4 addresses available due to exhaustion, people simply can't buy non-NATed v4 access. The choices will be native v6, NAT-PT to v4, or multilayered v4 NAT.

If that doesn't work "well enough", the people at the other end will be motivated to deploy native v6 on their end to make their service work better than their competitors' -- and all the evil NAT(-PT) stuff is bypassed.