Re: Access to the IPv4 net for IPv6-only systems, was: Re: WG Action: Conclusion of IP Version 6 (ipv6)

  • From: Alain Durand
  • Date: Mon Oct 01 09:32:02 2007

Title: Re: Access to the IPv4 net for IPv6-only systems, was: Re: WG Action: Conclusion of IP Version 6 (ipv6)

On 9/29/07 11:10 PM, "John Curran" <[email protected]> wrote:

The irony is that the I* rationale for moving NAT-PT to historic
was "to restore the end-to-end transparency of the Internet"

===> John,

With all due respect, I will recommend you to read 4966, reasons to move NAT-PT to historical

Abstract

   This document discusses issues with the specific form of IPv6-IPv4
   protocol translation mechanism implemented by the Network Address
   Translator - Protocol Translator (NAT-PT) defined in RFC 2766.  These
   issues are sufficiently serious that recommending RFC 2766 as a
   general purpose transition mechanism is no longer desirable, and this
   document recommends that the IETF should reclassify RFC 2766 from
   Proposed Standard to Historic status.

 - Alain.