Re: Emergency ARIN Contact?

  • From: Bill Woodcock
  • Date: Sat Sep 29 11:30:09 2007

      On Sat, 29 Sep 2007, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
    > Does anyone know any of the following:
    > 1) If there's an "emergency" contact at ARIN who can deal with off-hours
    > requests (if there's an expedite fee, I'm pretty sure it's willing to be
    > paid).

I'm on ARIN's board of trustees, so this is a level of detail that I don't
have direct insight into, but as a matter of operational policy, I
believe that ARIN's operations staff are either present or on-call 24/7,
but ARIN's hostmaster staff (which is who you need to talk to) has working
hours of 7am through 7pm eastern time, Monday through Friday.  Informally,
however, I know from practical experience that there are often diligent
ARIN folks who are hard at work on weekends, so it's quite likely that
you'll receive a reply sooner than Monday morning.

If increasing the hours of hostmaster staff availability is something that
the community would find useful, that's exactly what the community input
process is for...  ARIN is neither more nor less than the sum of its
members; it's budget is your money to spend as you see fit, and it doesn't
have any priorities that aren't set by its membership.  So that's a
conversation that could easily be moved from a NANOG context to an ARIN
operational change, if there's a desire expressed by the community.  The
upcoming joint NANOG/ARIN meeting in Albuquerque would be a great place to
discuss it.

    > 2) If there's a way of accessing historical WHOIS records and/or
    > changelogs?  (i.e. does someone keep an archive?)

Yes, PCH and a number of other organizations archive whois records from
all the RIRs daily.  That's not the same as a change-log, since it's a
snapshot once every 24 hours.  If you want to understand exactly what
changed and why, you really will need to speak with a hostmaster.

                                -Bill