Re: WG Action: Conclusion of IP Version 6 (ipv6)

  • From: Randy Bush
  • Date: Thu Sep 27 20:16:54 2007

>>> So run IPv6 natively and your tunneling issues are history.
>> son, get a clue.  i work for the first isp on the bleeping planet
>> to deploy native ipv6
> I beg to differ. Add the word "commercial" and I might agree.

whoops!  <blush>  apologies!

> eliminating tunnels does not make all of the IPv6 problems go away.
> It just eliminates the ones caused by the use of tunnels.

in and of itself, this is a good thing.  tunnels suck caterpillar snot.

> The REAL problems are not going anywhere for a long time, if ever.

indeed, many will be with us for a long time.  but there are a bunch we
could knock off in a few years
  o dual stack backbones (and it's as much the vendors as the isps here)
  o dual stack consumer cpe
  o routers that hold 2m routes *with churn* from enterprise to backbone
  o test equipment to differentiate vendor hot air from actual
    performance
  o nat-pt with standardized algs for at least dns, smtp, http, sip, and
    rtp

randy