Re: WG Action: Conclusion of IP Version 6 (ipv6)

  • From: Kevin Oberman
  • Date: Thu Sep 27 19:58:18 2007

> Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 11:57:07 -1000
> From: Randy Bush <[email protected]>
> Sender: [email protected]
>

> > So run IPv6 natively and your tunneling issues are history.
>
> son, get a clue.  i work for the first isp on the bleeping planet to
> deploy native ipv6

I beg to differ. Add the word "commercial" and I might agree.

Sitting under my desk is the first system in the US with a production IP
address. (No, it's not still running. It's an old DEC Alphstation.)
ESnet has run native IPv6 as a fully supported production service for
years.

Randy is right that eliminating tunnels does not make all of the IPv6
problems go away. It just eliminates the ones caused by the use of
tunnels. The REAL problems are not going anywhere for a long time, it
ever.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)