Re: Visualizing the routing table

  • From: Duane Wessels
  • Date: Thu Sep 27 14:03:11 2007

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, Nathan Ward said:

Is the older pictures based on older allocation data, or present-day data?

I assume you are refering to the labels showing to whom each block is allocated? Those come from IANA's file at http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space, which gives the date (just month and year) of each allocation. I dont have an archive of that file so to show the state of things in the past I just change any allocation after a given date to "Unallocated".

The routing table data (the colored bits) comes from Routeviews,
which has a good archive.

BTW, one thing that really stands out if you watch the animation
is the two times (July 2005 and June 2006) where routes appeared
for large areas of unallocated space.

Duane W.