Re: Going dual-stack, how do apps behave and what to do as an operator (Was: Apple Airport Extreme IPv6 problems?)

  • From: Nathan Ward
  • Date: Mon Sep 24 08:19:34 2007

On 24/09/2007, at 11:48 PM, [email protected] wrote:

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 23:35:12 +1200, Nathan Ward said:

Probably doesn't work so well if you have 6k people behind the same
NAT, and they all try and use proto-41, though.

If you have 6,000 people behind a single NAT, proto-41 is probably the least of your concerns, and Randy Bush may or may not be thinking of awarding you an Innovative Engineering Award. :)

Don't worry, /I/ don't do this.

Some large enterprise/campus networks do, though.

Let's revise my number to "2". Just as much as a problem if they're both trying to do proto-41 :-)

The other thing to note - 6to4 kicks in on Vista if it has a non- RFC1918 IPv4 address, so we're talking about people NATing large numbers of non-RFC1918 space. Regardless of how crazy they might seem, these networks exist, and they're preventing people from rolling out IPv6 (AAAA) to production stuff. It's annoying, because they're often the same people who say "I'm not going to pay attention to IPv6, I've got enough addresses.", and we all lose because of it. (That, or when those networks become few enough that we can turn on AAAA records for production stuff, they'll be forced to sort their stuff out).

--
Nathan Ward