RE: Route table growth and hardware limits...talk to the filter

  • From: James Jun
  • Date: Sat Sep 22 15:13:36 2007

> My statement about routing platforms was more based on the fact that what
> my Cisco rep said was true - the sup upgrade was gonna be cheaper than
> 7304s or "option J".  I mean yeah, I could buy 7206s but it still wouldn't
> save me that much.
>
> What just chaps my hide is that there is no reason, in this application,
> to need 40GB/slot performance.  Their refusal to sell a cheaper card with
> improved TCAM suggests that the SUP720/RSP720 has really high margins and
> they're making a killing on this issue...

Actually, originally Cisco planned to release SUP32-XL or similar variant
with higher FIB TCAM space.  But they scrapped that plan near the end,
screwing many people in the process (I'm sure some cisco account reps got
earful about this from many people who bought sup32's in the past)-- I mean
hey, forcing customers to buy SUP720 plus may be new line cards (depending
on situation) is more revenue right?  This whole 220k+ ipv4 routing issue is
an excellent opportunity :)

On the other hand, if you have the guts, try popping in a PFC3BXL card into
SUP32.  I wonder which IOS versions will actually recognize this and show ~1
mil. entry capacity when doing 'sh mls cef max' ;-) (WARNING: this
completely violates warranty and irreparable damage may occur)

james