RE: New TransPacific Cable Projects:

  • From: Rod Beck
  • Date: Sat Sep 22 05:36:50 2007

Title: RE: New TransPacific Cable Projects:

It is not obvious to me that there is a Pacific cable capacity glut. For example, I sold a DS3 from LA to Hong Kong for $6K MRC whereas the last time a wholesale TransAtlantic DS3 rivaled that figure was 2001.

Now you could argue that one needs to look at pricing on a mileage-adjusted basis since the typical TransPacific cable spans a much greater distance than its TransAtlantic counterpart.

But operating costs are not proportional to mileage - the bulk of your operating expense is what you pay the undersea maintenance companies such as Global Marine and Tyco Submarine and Alcatel. And their annual charges are not very sensitive to distance.

What is peculiar about the Pacific is the lack of new products. For example, it's extremely difficult to get any Ethernet transport on many routes such as LA/Sydney or into India.

Yes, there is some Ethernet/IP junk, but that doesn't meet most of my clients' performance standards. It is IP masquerading as Ethernet.

In fact, it is very difficult to find Packet-over-SDH Ethernet even on the all-important LA/HK route.

To sum up, I do believe the median Pacific cable enjoys a substantial margin advantage over the median Atlantic

There is only TransAtlantic cable that is particularly well right now, largely due to its unique physical diversity and footprint.

Roderick S. Beck
Director of EMEA Sales
Hibernia Atlantic
1, Passage du Chantier, 75012 Paris
http://www.hiberniaatlantic.com
Wireless: 1-212-444-8829.
Landline: 33-1-4346-3209.
French Wireless: 33-6-14-33-48-97.
AOL Messenger: GlobalBandwidth
[email protected]
[email protected]
``Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.'' Albert Einstein.