Re: Bee attack, fiber cut, 7-hour outage

  • From: Valdis . Kletnieks
  • Date: Fri Sep 21 17:00:38 2007

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 15:38:30 EDT, Deepak Jain said:

> Anytime you talk about "rural" I'm impressed with 7 hours, however --
> isn't SONET supposed to make this better?

I'm not in Texas, but I am rural - there's plenty of places around here
where it's just not economically feasible to run 2 diverse fiber paths
to a town.  Heck, a lot of these places didn't get their *first* fiber
until fairly recently.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=grundy,+virgina&ie=UTF8&ll=37.279107,-82.099457&spn=0.414686,0.782776&t=h&z=11&om=1

Not a place you'll find a redundant SONET ring. ;)