Re: Route table growth and hardware limits...talk to the filter

  • From: John A. Kilpatrick
  • Date: Fri Sep 21 16:13:43 2007

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007, Pekka Savola wrote:

But as should be obvious, you don't need to worry about this problem if you're willing to put money into router upgrades. However, I'm just suggesting there is an alternative to router upgrades if you're comfortable with the somewhat different tradeoffs that will bring with it.

Yes, I would agree this statement is true but some of the tradeoffs seem pretty high.

My statement about routing platforms was more based on the fact that what my Cisco rep said was true - the sup upgrade was gonna be cheaper than 7304s or "option J". I mean yeah, I could buy 7206s but it still wouldn't save me that much.

What just chaps my hide is that there is no reason, in this application, to need 40GB/slot performance. Their refusal to sell a cheaper card with improved TCAM suggests that the SUP720/RSP720 has really high margins and they're making a killing on this issue...

--
                               John A. Kilpatrick
[email protected]                Email|     http://www.hypergeek.net/