RE: Going dual-stack, how do apps behave and what to do as an operator (Was: Apple Airport Extreme IPv6 problems?)

  • From: michael.dillon
  • Date: Thu Sep 20 06:43:12 2007

> > If there's interest I'll hack up a FreeBSD nanobsd image with ipv6
> > support, a routing daemon (whatever people think is good
> enough) and
> > whatever other stuff is "enough" to act as a 6to4 gateway.
> > You too can build diskless core2duo software routers for USD $1k.
>
> What about Soekris hardware? I don't have any personal
> experience with it, but it looks very appealing to build load
> balancers/routers out of, and quite inexpensive.

Before you choose which hardware platform to use, you should take
a look at the software platform and see what other people are using.
There are dozens of Linux router distros like OpenWRT out there.

http://leaf.sourceforge.net/  Linux Embedded gateway/router/firewall

http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT6003080606.html Building a low
cost router appliance

Linux Devices is a good site to find information about embedded
hardware platforms that support Linux. There are a lot of possibilities
ranging from fanless x86 systems built around a Via EPIA motherboard
to traditional embedded platforms based around ARM or MIPS processors.

And just about anything that runs Linux will also run BSD if that is
what you want.

--Michael Dillon